Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Preparing for Hibernation


It's official. The leaves are changing and falling. Pumpkins are on sale at the grocery story. And there's a tell-tale chill in the air.

I love Autumn. It's always been my favorite season. But, since moving to Northwest Washington, it's also come with some disappointment...because I know, with the decadent color, comes the rain. And with the rain, comes the gloom...and several months of dark, short days. So, Autumn has become a time where I now prepare for hibernation. I plan ahead. I look deep inside myself to construct ways to get through the dark winter without losing my sanity.

Everyone is back to work or back to school. This means routine, which is a saving grace when hours fade quickly and the To Do list seems to multiply. This is why, winter, for me, is about simplification. A "taking away", if you will.

With each falling leaf, my list of things to do is shortened. By deep winter, we should be slowed to a snail's pace, resting...saving the hard work and vibrant plans for summer, and the deep cleaning and bi-annual purge for Spring. Winter is a sleepy season - when everything becomes close. We stay indoors more, and therefore, we stay closer to our loved ones. The holidays bring our families and friends from far away (even if it is only in thought or by phone or correspondence).

Winter is time of reflection, a time of inward stillness...at time to say no to doing too much. Laying on the couch reading should be the rule, not a stolen moment glazed with guilt. Yes, there's a lot to do...but it can wait.

So, I and my family, armed with soup and stew recipes, books and crafts and other indoor activities, are preparing to keep close to the den.

And as the pace of our lives slows, maybe I'll have a bit more time to write.

For now, the process of simplification necessarily includes cutting out those things that absolutely do not have to get done. Including this blog. So, for awhile, I may only write here and there - scattered thoughts or an important piece of information to share. For awhile, I may not even write at all.

This mama bear needs her rest.

No comments: