Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Falling into the Mess


I, like many of you, work full time, take care of a family, try to take care of myself, and try to stay sane.

As you have probably noticed...my writing has slowed.

It is September, and as Fall blankets the ground with leaves, our household goes back to work, back to school, and back to a whirlwind routine that leaves little time for my "pleasure" writing.

But, don't worry...October brings shorter days, and more quiet time at home, which means more time for this.

Be patient. I will return.

It certainly brings up the good point of "making time" for the things that matter. During the school year, my strategy is really just to attend to the "fires". Anything that can wait, usually has no choice. So, we are now in "good enough" mode. The house is a little messier; the meals are a little simpler (praise leftovers); the laundry pile is a little taller. And what do we get in return? Time with the kiddo, time to catch up on work so we can have the weekend off, time to keep running, and time to sleep.

A little dust, dirt, and grime isn't about to get in the way of my peace of mind (though it sure does try).

I guess that's the best philosophy - 1st things 1st. My son won't remember that the house was messy. But he will remember that we spent time with him. And besides...the only living beings who see the inside of my house are me, D., our son, and the animals. I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who cares that it be spotless and real-estate-show-worthy.

We all have faults. I'm working on it.

No comments: