Monday, April 2, 2012

Eco-friendly mattresses (locally procured)



Well, it's that time...the old mattress is now 12 yrs. old and causing bodily harm - time to kick it to the curb.  But, my oh my, does it lead to some intense research.

So, here's what I've set out looking for (keep in mind, when I begin my research on anything, I shoot for the moon - what would my dream _____ look like? and then I end up moving further and further down my list of exceptions and desires until I can afford a compromise item):

- comfort (which is hard to agree on when two bodies are deciding)
- price (ummm....I really don't want to spend more than 6-800$ - but I'm aware these things cost an arm and a leg)
- eco-friendly construction
- made in the USA

(Here's a great blog post on choosing a natural/organic mattress.)

Alright - let the research begin.  Apparently, what I'm looking for in an eco-friendly mattress is:

- a wood frame that is Forest Stewardship Council certified
- natural latex (I have a latex sensitivity...so I will have to look that one up - here's a forum on the topic from Green Living) or soybean foam core
- no synthetic foam core, like polyurethane (it contains PBDEs - linked to breast cancer - and even though companies claim it is a recyclable product, it contains chemicals that can cause asthma and, overtime, can let off chemicals into the air) - instead choose naturally fire-retardant wool
- organic cotton or hemp cover (hemp provides mildew/mold resistance, as does wool)
- bamboo is naturally anti-microbial (but usually only found in mattress pads and other bedding, though some companies use it in mattress construction)
- avoid coil mattresses because they harbor dust mites more readily (which is the source of most allergies)

Now, how much is all this going to cost?  And can I get it where I live?

Well...we live in a small town - or in the middle of a succession of small towns - so our options are limited (which also raises the price).  We have a few furniture stores (one is going out of business, so I'll give that a shot), Bargain Warehouse (which I'm not feeling confident will have eco-friendly options), and Sleep Country. I did a bit of preliminary research on Sleep Country and found this company statement about their new line (3 years old now...so maybe there are a few other options by now) of Nature's Rest organic mattresses (bonus:  Made in the USA).  I'll see if our local store has such a thing.  From the little I've found on the web...these seem to be quite spendy (in the thousands).  A few other brands I have found are:  Essentia (natural memory foam), Keetsa, Dormia, and Cozypure.  Simmons also has a line called Natural Care (though I am always aware of greenwashing and really wonder what the ingredients truly are).  Some people recommend a traditional Japanese futon (placed on a slatted platform bed).  I'm all about the platform bed and only having one mattress (to avoid the box spring and the squeaking that eventually begins over time as the joints and coils break down).

There is also always IKEA.  Quite a drive for us, but possibly worth it if I can't find anything more local.  I will admit that I'm pretty sure IKEA's prices can't be beat for the product.  Plus I love their 90 money-back guarantee for mattresses.

I also found an all wool mattress for about a grand at The Organic Mattress Store - they take special care, though, so it takes some thought before purchase.

In my internet travels, here a few complaints I dug up on natural and organic mattresses:

- the strong odor of latex and soybean (especially) foam mattresses (which I can attest to, as I have a natural latex yoga mat - even though I have a latex sensitivity)
- wool, since it is an animal product, must be cleaned at least once a year
- the latex foam mattresses seem to have some issues with sagging and denting
- cost!! (As we all know, if it says natural, organic, or eco-friendly, it's going to cost a lot more - which is really quite absurd.)

For some organic mattress reviews, check out this site.

Anyone have any suggestions?  I would rather purchase locally so the tax dollars stay nearby.  Plus, I don't want to pay a whole wad of extra cash on shipping.

3 comments:

Northwest Writer said...

So, I've been out shopping most of the day...and here's what I found...Macrorie has a line called Emerald and can order in something called the "Earth" mattress. It is made of natural dunlop latex and soy foam fillers, wool, and has a bamboo fabric cover. It's a firm mattress and runs $1599 for a king. I also found a line of Englander mattresses that are made with all of the same ingredients...they run about $1200 for a king. IKEA's versions run around $900-1000. And a natural wool mattress (from Shepherd's Dream) is $1000 with free shipping, but will probably require a topper of some sort (another $1-300). So, there you go. If anyone has anything better to offer, please do share -
Northwest Writer

Northwest Writer said...

Oh...and Emerald is a Tacoma based company - I had a difficult time finding info. and/or reviews.

Northwest Writer said...

So, I've been researching reviews on both the IKEA natural latex mattress and the Englander natural latex mattress. Here's what I've come up with...throw out the old mattress, put down a comforter, and sleep on the floor. Okay, maybe not, but the whole review process has really been less than enlightening. People who put in the time to review products tend to either be the people who love, love, love or absolutely hate a product. So, it really isn't all the helpful. The wool futon mattress with a topper is beginning to look better, but it's so darned expensive (not much more than a lot of other mattresses, however). The Englanders seem to get dinged pretty hard for their durability. But, then IKEA seems to have the same problem. However, for the money, they get higher ratings. I guess the idea is - sure it costs less, but it won't last as long. So, ultimately, I can spend $200 on a futon or $3000 on a fancy, high-end mattress - either way, I'm just as likely to be disappointed. So, I still have not made up my mind. But, I will post again when the decision has been made (for better or worse) and review whatever it is we buy (happy or not).