Saturday, March 31, 2012

Earth-friendly...as long as it's hip and easy...



The bandwagon is large and there are a lot of people riding on it.  Sustainable goods, eco-idea magazines/books/websites, greener alternatives, recycled goods, natural ingredients, hybrid cars, bicycling to work...you name it, many of us are going there.

It makes us feel good and socially responsible.  I know that's why I do a lot of the "green" things I do.  But, like most people, I do what's easy.  I take short showers, I try to remember my re-usable shopping bags, I buy locally when possible.  But, there's a lot more I could be doing.  For most of us, the popularity of being "earth-friendly" has provided us the means to easily and happily transition with little discomfort to a life that "feels" environmentally sound.

If I took a good hard look at the things I do and things I could be doing, I'm sure the former would be a much shorter list than the latter.  Maybe that's a good activity for us all to do today:  Make a list of all the earth-friendly practices you have incorporated into your life (really, it will probably make you feel good to see that in writing, anyway)...and then make a list of things you could be doing - with relative ease...and another list of things that might actually push you to a bit of discomfort.

What I notice is that it is usually money that holds me back.  But, in the beginning, I proved to myself that it was actually cheaper in some regards to choose the local, more environmentally-friendly products.  The rest of the stuff seems so huge.  I cannot afford a new car (and even if I could, I'm not willing to give up my AWD for a tiny little aluminum can I can plug in or wind up).  I cannot afford to have solar panels put on my roof (and let's face it, I live in the Pacific NW - we see the sun all of about 2 seconds one day in August - so it'd be a wast of money).  I will not live in 250 square feet of space (I'm a little claustrophobic and I think I'd go insane if I had to be that close to my son all day).

In the end...it is all about compromise.  But, it's not a bad idea to at least be aware of the changes you have made, the changes you can still make, and the changes you are unwilling to make.  At least that way, you aren't claiming ignorance, you're making informed decisions about your limits and your choices.

What have been the hardest changes you have made?  What changes do you still plan to make?

Oh---and a little reminder - tonight is EARTH HOUR.  The concept is that everyone turns of their lights for one hour all at the same time.  One hour of darkness - as an act of dedication to the planet and the cause.

And for fun...

There is a current conversation occurring on TED exploring why "sustainable consumption" has not permeated electricity consumption.

No comments: