Sunday, December 12, 2010

Favorites of 2010

So the year is almost coming to its close.

Last year at this time, I made the resolution to stay out of Wal-Mart. It evolved into a project much bigger than I had anticipated. And while we still have a ways to go before we reach our goals, we have made some leaps.

Over the course of the year, I've cut back, pared down, cleaned out, and learned new ways of doing things.

We stopped using paper towels, started composting, making our own bread, and hand-washing our dishes. We learned to avoid high-fructose-corn-syrup and used up most of our final supplies of store-bought cleaners.

So, here at the end of the year, I've created a list of my favorite products. I haven't found replacement products for everything in my house yet, but these are sure winners.



Giovanni. It's a winner! From their ingredients to their prices and even their scents, Giovanni hair products are fabulous. And they really work. Organic hairspray? That holds? And isn't sticky? Yes. It's true. Great shampoos, gels, frizz serums, root lifters...the whole hairstyling shebang!



Kiss My Face. I don't love all their products, but some have definitely become staples in our home: their shaving cream is fabulous (we both use it), and their Germs Aside hand soap smells great and cleans better.



Regardless of their parent company, Burt's Bees is still one of my favorites for great products. Their baby shampoo & wash is my favorite for the kiddo; I love the garden tomato toner (I tried several things this year and just couldn't find anything I liked better); their shimmer sticks and lip balms; their peppermint soap; their blemish stick. I don't love all of their products, mind you. But, they remain one of my go-to brands for many beauty products.

Arm & Hammer Essentials Natural Deodorant. It took me all year to find it, but thank god I finally have. A natural deodorant that actually works!

Eco Tools - from the bamboo make-up brushes to the lotion, Eco Tools is an emerging brand. I don't love the smell of most of their stuff, but the body butter is great.



Alima Pure mineral make-up. One word: indispensable. And...it is almost local - Portland, Oregon. So it has Bare Esscentuals beat on that premise alone. Great colors, great service, and reasonable prices. Plus, they offer $1 samples so there's no reason to fear commitment. Love, love, love this company.



Ecos products. Found at Costco, priced right, simple ingredients. Good stuff.

And then, there are the cleaning staples...baking soda, natural soap, vinegar, tea tree oil, lavender oil, and lemon juice.

So, there you have it. A few favorites that stood the test of time this year.

Composting, reusable shopping and produce bags, buying local, cooking from scratch (most of the time), travel mugs, and canning. We've come a long way this year, but there are new hurdles to jump in the new year.

Some plans for the coming year: homemade pasta (just need the machine), homemade tortillas (I bought the press and I have the recipe, I just need to do it!), a green house, clothes lines and cloth snack bags.

I look forward to another year of baby steps. Another year of green getting greener. It's always a worthy challenge.

2 comments:

Brooke said...

Kudo's to you guys! What a great thing for the planet, teach Liam and thank you for sharing your 'wins' with all of us to make it easier for us to do/try! You guys rock :)

Anonymous said...

I'm enjoying your blog. Just some advice, though. You don't really need a pasta machine, if you're trying to downsize. My grandma and my ethnic Italian friends taught me to just roll out the dough and cut it into noodles with a table knife. I kind of like a thicker, al dente noodle anyway. Another idea is to make gnocchi. A thumb and a fork are the only tools needed.

Carol