Monday, December 13, 2010

Avoiding Holiday Waste



So, it's about this time at Christmas, when the wrapping begins, the tree goes up, and the cards and letters start trickling in (and out), that I am reminded of a sad but inevitable holiday epilogue - trash. Trees piled outside of houses, brown and decaying. Extra bags of wrapping and packaging next to the garbage bins waiting to be picked up by the garbage truck. Cards either saved (hoarded) or thrown out (or recycled).

Which brings me to today's topic. Holiday waste. And how to avoid it (or at least lessen it).

So, first off - the tree. I've thought about for several years...wondered which is better (greener): a real tree or a fake tree. I figured both had their merits and flaws. While a real tree smells better, isn't burdened with chemicals, and is biodegradable, it may be trucked in from elsewhere (gas), has to be thrown out (a slow decomposition in a landfill) or burned. And a fake tree may last for awhile (more economical, less yearly waste, less gas spent each year to either go out and cut one down or truck one in from a tree farm), but eventually, it'll be thrown out, and when it is, it'll take forever (almost) to degrade. Plus, many of them are made in China...which means a long haul to get here, possible lead contamination (or other chemicals), pollution from factories that create them...yada yada yada. So after reading this article from The Daily Green, I've determined that the best compromise is to buy a potted tree, decorate it, enjoy its evergreen fragrance, and then plant it outside in the spring. Heck! In some places, you can even rent a potted tree. It'll be dropped off and then picked up afterward.

Next up, wrapping! Try to avoid the wrapping paper. Switch to re-usable gift bags. They're pretty, easy, and last a long time when taken care of. I know it dampens the fun of ripping open gifts (and believe me, I'm not saying I won't wrap a few for my son to shred in to), but it's way better for the planet. You might even try cloth bags. When kids are young, there's probably little need to wrap everything anyway...just lay it out for a morning surprise. For other loved ones, the gift bags are acceptable. If you must use paper, there is ton of it made from post consumer material. Opt for that.

And the sometimes unavoidable, and always irritating - packaging. Plastic cartons, cardboard, cellophane. Ugh. With kids toys, it's hard to avoid. But, at least make sure to recycle as much as possible. You might even try to buy items with as little packaging as possible.

Christmas cards. I'm guilty. I send snail mail cards some years. Other years I send via email (the family letter and pictures). This year, no real cards, just pictures. I avoided the holiday motif, so family members could frame them or put them on the fridge. Plus, not all of my family are tech-savvy. So, sending paper cards/letters is the only way they are bound to receive my message. I only purchased twenty photo cards...for the people in my address book who aren't likely to have email or a Facebook account. Keep in mind, most people just throw their cards away at the end of the season, so if you are going to send cards, don't just sign your name and stick it in an envelope. It's a waste of money and paper. If you're going to the trouble of sending a card, include a meaningful message inside. I find it annoying when I get cards that say nothing inside. It's only thoughtful if it's full of thoughts. Just sayin'.

Here's to a green holiday!

No comments: