Monday, February 8, 2010

The Napping House

"Sometimes you just need to take a nap and get over it." Maura Stuard, age 8

It's true. And today, I did.

Last night, I had to get up at two in the morning with a restless toddler and ended up staying home this morning so I could take him in to the doctor to check on his cough...which ended up STILL being nothing...but a cough. This time we even checked for signs of asthma and treated for it to see if it helped or improved the symptoms, but it didn't - which is a good thing, since I really don't want him to have to deal with that, too. We walked out without a prescription (whew!) and headed to McDonald's for a treat (yes, in some way, this might have been a fail according to my plan for the year...but on occasion, I don't think there's anything wrong with it). Holy cow! You'd have thought I was taking him to Disneyland! He was so excited.

And then came the afternoon. The "cranky" set in...and my little Jekyll turned into Mr. Hyde. So we attempted a nap. Naps always make things better - and quieter. But, no...he was having none of it. About this time, MY fever started to set in. Yay! So, now I wanted the nap, too...because naps always seem to make me feel better when I'm starting to get sick.

Finally, about 2 hours after the first nap attempt, he finally yelled himself to sleep out of exhaustion. And I fell asleep, too.

He woke up a more charming version of himself, as did I.

Naps are not only restorative, they can be medicinal. I think the whole world should embrace the concept of Siesta! We'd all be happier and healthier. But since that isn't likely to happen...take a nap whenever the opportunity presents itself. And never feel guilty for it.

The Sweet Science of Dozing

No comments: