Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Gratitude in the face of "Grrrr...."

I did a poetry activity with a group of young people the other day that involved a poem by Mary Oliver called "The Journey". It's an excellent poem for teenagers because it deals with following one's own path and not allowing others to bring you down or drain you by talking you into to solving their problems, too.

The activity begins with me reading the poem out loud while the listeners highlight lines, words, phrases, etc. that catch their attention, seem important, or just sound good to them. Then, I read it aloud again, but this time, the listeners become readers...reading the portions they have highlighted along with me. The effect is interesting, as some parts become a crescendo of voices.

Not only is it just fun, but it is validating...that even with poetry, something that can truly seem abstract and confusing, we can all find meaning...oftentimes, it may even be the same meaning and the same importance. That means we are truly getting at the message.

We compared "The Journey" to Robert Frost's "The Road Not Taken", one of my favorites. The two are very similar, in that they both address making a choice that necessarily assumes the leaving behind of something else.

Today I had to make a choice. I could've done a lot of different things. I could've taken a criticism personally. I could've gotten angry and retaliated. I could've caved and apologized for something I wasn't responsible for just to avoid confrontation. I could've reacted in many pointless ways. Instead, I took the path less traveled by...I ignored the voices shouting their bad advice...the screams of "Mend my life!"

I chose to walk away.

And later, I chose to listen to a wise voice sharing good advice.

Just let it go. So, here's a little thanks to the voice:

Haiku in 3 Parts - for D.

When all else fails to
soothe my wakeful wounds, your words
are like a tonic.

When spite brims at the
edge, threatening to consume
my reason, you speak.

Softly, you say what
I already know - but your
voice turns it to truth.

No comments: