Sunday, April 18, 2010

The Doldroms

(title in honor of Norton Juster - a favorite childhood author)

Have you ever found yourself doing the same thing every day...the same routine...the same chores...all in the same order? Same, same, same.

And have you ever felt yourself slowly going insane from the "sameness"?

There is, indeed, something to be said for comfort - knowing what is going to happen, knowing what to expect, knowing ahead of time, planning, being aware.

And then, there's the flip side - spontaneity, the unknown, change.

It CAN be scary...hell, it CAN be wrong...and stupid...

but sometimes...it can be heaven, and just what the doctor ordered.

So, this week, we're changing it up. Everyday, something new. Since that's what this blog is really about - changes, however small, to make us happier, healthier, and to help the world around us.

This is just a reminder, to myself and everyone who reads this blog: don't get stuck in a rut...and if you do - get out!

This last week, I did - over and over - what I try always not to do. I brought work home every night. So basically, I worked from sun up to sun down...and can I ever back up the old adage "all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy". By Friday, I was moody, tired, and just plain mean.

Stupidly, I brought home work for the weekend, too, with the hope of finally getting caught up. But, today, while pulling weeds and taking wheelbarrow after wheelbarrow of leaves and branches to the back of the property and the burn pile, I just made up my mind that I wasn't going to let work make me any meaner and lose what was left of a perfectly salvageable Sunday.

Nope. Once again...I have to remind myself that I can only do so damned much. And yes, there will probably be some complaints this week at work. Clients will be pissed because this or that isn't done. F*%k 'em.

I'm going to sit on the couch and watch a movie with my husband.

Ode to Shel Silverstein

I had a lot to do.
I didn't get it done.
I couldn't care a whit.
Because I had some fun.
And if you have a problem,
come do it in my stead.
I'd gladly let you do it,
while I sleep in my bed.
A little healthy "putting off"
is needed for the soul
to rejuvenate and prosper
and go from empty back to full.

P.S. Oh, and for those moms out there...the Twice Upon a Child consignment store is moving downtown to the old KONP building. Great deal, good stuff. Go check them out! I never buy new, because there's no reason. Also, Goodwill has some great kids stuff right now. I bought the kiddo a whole new wardrobe for spring and summer for under $60!

No comments: