Sunday, October 23, 2011

Saying No to One-Use Drink/Food Containers

Okay, so it's time to re-invigorate my "saying no" campaign. Because, let's be honest here, I've been a little ho-hum on the "change" front, lately. Maybe that's because my life, and our family's lives, have been changing in a lot of ways that have not focused on the environment.

With that said, it always seems to be right around the holidays when I start to feel the need to throw out, bring in, and mix it up.

So, the ONE SUSTAINABLE CHANGE for November? No more one-use drink or food containers. I know I've suggested re-usable coffee mugs (duh), and stainless steel water canteens (another duh)...but I'm pushing it further. No cans, no bottles, no paper cups of any sort...no paper or (gasp!) Styrofoam take-out boxes.

It's do-able...it just means packing my own cups around (a coffee mug and canteen are good enough) and a plastic or steel container for leftovers when we go out...maybe a set of silverware in the car to avoid plastic forks and spoons.

I really don't eat out much, and I rarely eat "fast" food of any type, but when I do, I always find myself completely unprepared. And then I feel guilty, as I walk out with my leftovers in a throw-away container or my beverage in a paper cup.

So, here it is...in writing...my vow to stop buying anything that requires a one-use container. And I suppose that means plastic bags at the grocery store too...because, like many of you...even though I have the re-usable produce bags and gorcery bags...I continually leave them in the car.

Done. Not doing it any more.

Here's to sustainability. Here's to change. Here's to one...sustainable...change.

No comments: