Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Tubeless Toilet Paper

I get excited about weird things. I know this. I also know that not everyone is as interested in the odd tidbits I gnash my teeth into and can't let go of. This is one of them.

This morning on my drive to work, I was listening to my normal Canadian radio station (they come in better than the ones in the states because we are closer to Victoria than we are to Seattle), The Zone. They have a morning slot called "The Good News News", and on it today they mentioned that tubeless toilet paper is being introduced. I immediately called home, where D was still getting ready to leave for work, and had him write me a note so I wouldn't forget to blog about this.

So why, might you ask, is this such a big deal? Well...apparently, the tubes that people throw away in a year could potentially create a string from the earth to the moon and back. The company claims that an estimated 17 billion toilet paper tubes produced yearly in the US account for 160 million pounds of trash. Crazy! (My first question would be: Why aren't people recycling them?)

Anyhow, this takes care of the need to recycle at all. No need to produce them or use the paper materials in the first place. It saves the company costs and saves the environmental costs of production and waste.

Cool.

The not-so-cool part? They are currently only going to pilot the product at Walmart and Sams Club stores. Grr... Guess I have to hope that Walmart shoppers are willing to support the product well-enough and long-enough for them to branch out and start offering it at places I am willing to shop.



Here's an article from USA Today about the product and it's introduction.

No comments: