Wednesday, June 9, 2010

New Computer!

Okay...with my current goals, it seems rather silly to be so excited over a new computer...but, mine just came in the mail today, and I am currently setting it up for regular use. Nothing fancy...no major bells and whistles. A compact laptop with plenty of memory, a CD/DVD, USB ports and that's about all (for as cheap as I could find it).

It just amazes me though. About 8 years ago, when I bought my desktop computer, before laptops seemed affordable, it came in 3 separate boxes, with a whole book full of CD's to load and information to consume. Today, I got a box about 1 foot by 1 1/2 feet with a small plastic baggie of software and tiny booklets. And instead of a huge monitor and tower with speakers and a zillion cords, I got a computer weighing less than 5 pounds and one cord.

Boy, times have changed. Simplification seems to be the name of more than just my game.

But this, of course, lends itself to the question...what will we do with the old one? Recycling is always an option...but...we plan to keep it and use it as a music station. We have yet to recycle one of our computers or phones, keeping them instead in case our current one goes out. At some point, we are going to have to figure out what to do with all this technology, because once it has outlived its usefulness it's outta here!

No comments: