Thursday, February 25, 2010

Ordinary



At the risk of sounding shamelessly sappy...have you noticed one lately? An ordinary happening that seems miraculous?

The other morning, I woke up at 4:30...couldn't sleep, so I ended up wandering around the house for awhile, trying to be quiet and not wake up D. Finally, around 5:30, I settled in on the couch to try and doze. A few minutes later, my sleepy son stumbled out of his room into the darkness of the living room. To keep him quiet, I hoped I might convince him to snuggle up on the couch for a few minutes. Surprisingly, he willingly accepted. He hopped up under the blanket, laid his head on my pillow and breathed softly into my neck...for maybe 10 minutes. Silent. And pretty damned wonderful. It was like holding onto a slippery little minnow for one moment longer than expected.

Other ordinary miracles?

Saying (or hearing) I love you, for no reason.

A list of chores checked off.

This view on my way to work: a pristine, snow-capped mountain haloed by the rising sun.

Feeling blessed when I know I could want more.



Found out today, too, that our kitty has some mysterious ailment. $360 later, we know no more than it could be liver disease, cancer, leukemia, aids, or any number of other kitty killers. Good times.

So, we brought her home and fed her steak. No reason not to continue completely spoiling her and then some. Who knows how long she'll have.

Who knows how long any of us will have. Enjoy the ride. Notice the extraordinary in the ordinary.

No comments: