Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Gimme a break!




Being overworked is not something to be proud of

Our American Culture...made up of those who do, those who don't, and those who do too much. It wasn't long ago that Japan was in the lead for the most "work"-related deaths (as in working one's self to death...literally - see the article for more info.: Japanese work themselves to death, literally). But, now, we hold the illustrious title. Yay for us! Woo Hoo! America...the country always found at the head of the pack!

I'm just as guilty as the next person when it comes to letting work take center stage...be it my actual "job" or my housework and other chores and errands. But, I HAVE been getting better. I no longer bring work home with me unless it cannot be avoided. And, while at work, I'm getting better about actually taking my lunch break. It's only 30 minutes, and after I finally shove the last clients out of my "office" and take a much needed bathroom break, I usually work while I eat, so I can get more done during the day and be less likely to have to take anything home.

But, I've decided to say no to that, too. Today, I closed the door and just took a break. I didn't even eat. I wasn't hungry. I read...something of my own choosing...a magazine article.

And that is the plan for at least the rest of this week. If I can work out for twenty minutes and read for twenty minutes, I can take a dang break for twenty minutes - at least most of the time ;-)

No comments: