Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Anti-procrastination

Okay, I'm pretty sure I've already admitted my long-time membership with PNSA (procrastinators not so anonymous)...but today, I actually got something done days before it was due. Not at all like me...and I must say, it made me feel much further ahead than I probably really am. Now, it's not that I'm encouraging pulling the wool over one's eyes...or promoting the acceptance of a false sense of security...but heck - if getting one major thing on a list of 50 little things done makes one feel caught up - I say "embrace the lie"! Revel in it, roll in it, and make it's musk your own!

So, while the feeling might go away by tomorrow morning when I once again find myself looking at my desk, covered in nice, neat piles, labeled with post-its, all wrapped up nicely with a list of things to do on top...maybe I will be able to suck in one last essence of this feeling.

Even though I'm nowhere near done with my work (let's face it, as long as I stay in this line of work, I'm never going to know what it feels like to be done with everything...really), I'm at least at a place where I feel my head is above water...I can tread this way for quite a long time before I begin to sink again. I'm just at a crossroads. I can continue to complete small projects each day and reach my ultimate goal of being done by Friday with the current load, or I can succumb to the current, take a 4-second breather, and find myself sinking. But that's pretty much par for the course.

Today's change: a small celebration in recognition of a job done.



No comments: