Thursday, January 21, 2010

Make the information stop!!!!

Oh good lord! Research, research, and more research. Why can't companies just be up-front about their ingredients, their packaging, their philosophy, and their production processes!!!! It's so damned hard to be an informed consumer that it's no wonder people just give up in exasperation and buy the cheapest deal with the best coupon at the nearest store. E-gads!!!

However, you're in luck, dear reader, because, though I may be rather lazy in many other areas of my life, the quest for knowledge is not one of them. I don't like to be deceived, and I especially hate having to work harder than I should need to in order to find information that ought to be as forthcoming as laughter from a baby.

It all started with a search for non-plastic tupperware... (I did find an interesting source for information on this: Eco-Chick) ...but it lead me on a wild goose chase down a dark alley of convoluted "she said" "they said" and "we say" debates about make-up.

Here's how it happened (god, how I hate the stream-of-consciousness, tangential nature of web-searches - I get lost so easily, anyway): I put in my search for "stainless steel tupperware" and came across the Eco-chick site. To find out more about the blog, to see if it might be a candidate for addition to my "google this" list, I clicked on her logo. It took me to her most recent post on Josie Maran cosmetics. I was immediately intrigued and a little over-excited (I'm almost out of concealer and am on the verge of panic). But, when I began to search for where the products are made, I became more and more frustrated with each dead-end inquiry. Eventually, I did find out that the products are made in the U.S., BUT....I also found several reviews and articles about the company's "greenwashing" tactics. Ugh! Now I was - almost - back to the drawing board and ready to begin making peace with the fact that I may just have to wear a bag over my head until this make-up search is resolved.

However, after careful review of several articles and forums and discussion sites, I came up with a possible winner. There were several companies that fit the bill (truly green, cruelty-free, synthetic material and paraben-free...yada yada yada), but only one was affordable - Alima Pure. It is a Portland-based company...but I can't seem to find any information on whether or not it is MADE in Portland. It drives me crazy that this sort of simple fact is so hard to find!

Anyhow, I plan to try it. We'll see how it goes.

I will say that the most annoying part of going greener, eating healthier, buying with a conscious and an eye for production place and process is the research involved in making intelligent, educated consumer choices. Now I know why Consumer Reports is so popular.

I will also say that I DID try to do this whole thing locally. But, the only store that carries eco-friendly make-up (not just beauty products - I have plenty of soap and lotion - and I'm tired of hearing and reading that we should just feel beautiful in our own skin and that make-up is unnecessary - I like wearing it, dammit! And my self-esteem is just fine.) is a local natural grocery/pharmacy that carries Ecco Bella. This is a company with all the right attributes, but, I tried it, and I didn't like it. Their foundation and cover-up were thick and didn't smooth out well; plus, they're expensive. I'm more of a cheap, tinted-moisturizer kind of girl. I'm not positive about the Alima products, since they are in powder form. We'll see. At least the prices make trying it less a less-than-terrifying economic venture.

Okay, that's enough for today. I'm going to be working on a new link list..."locally speaking". A pet-peeve of D.'s and mine is how hard it is to find information about local events and entertainment, so I thought I'd just do it myself. I figured I could also put info. about local businesses I think deserve support. So, if you have suggestions, please feel free to let me know.

Have a great night everyone!

P.S. I had another "buying locally" snafu today...where the heck do you buy movies around here? The only places I can think of that sell dvd movies are Walmart, Costco (and they're over-priced), Blockbuster, and Safeway. I called Star Video, because they sell previously-viewed copies of some movies, but the one I'm looking for isn't available for some time. Grrr... It's hard to be a good steward of the earth.

No comments: