Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Emerald "Earth" Mattress (Tierra) Review +

Well...all of the purchases have arrived and been used long enough to review.  I'm just gonna brag for half a second, since my research really paid off this time (it doesn't always do that, I've found).  The pillows are great, the protectors are fantastic (feel just like sheets, really - no crinkle at all), the organic sheets are luxurious and thick - as is the blanket, and the mattress is "fabulous".  So, you can definitely take my research and suggestions to the bank this time.  Any and all of them are worth their weight in gold.


So, let's get to the mattress. 

When I was researching, I could find little to no information on Emerald mattresses.  I am going to assume that is a good thing, because it appears that, since people tend to review stuff they really hate more often than stuff they like, there isn't a good mattress out there anywhere.

This is the low-down on the Emerald "Earth" Mattress (model: Tierra, size: King).

The mattress is firm, but not rock hard like so many complain that latex mattresses can be.   In fact, I can definitely tell that there is a very heavy, solid support under the soft wool.  It's also a very thick mattress.  We have a platform bed with drawers in the base, so it means I almost need a stool to get in and out of bed.  No need for a box spring (which saves a little cash).  The top of the mattress is quilted, causing 4 inch sections to rise slightly.  It gives a bit of a ridged look under the sheets, but, when the bed is made, that doesn't show.  And since it seems to add to the comfort, I have not complaints.  The fabric cover is bamboo cotton...very silky soft.

Some people in the reviews I read about latex mattresses complained of a smell.  I detect no such offensive odor with this mattress.  Just smelled like new, clean fabric.  No chemical or "plastic-y" smell at all.

The reviews are very accurate on how heavy latex mattresses are.  I could hardly push the thing around on the floor, let alone move it or stand it up on my own.  Luckily, latex mattresses are usually "no-flip".  There is a suggestion that you turn the mattress a few times within the first 6 months.

Overall, this is a well-made mattress, made in the U.S. (Tacoma), out of healthy, biodegradable materials (soy-based foam, natural latex, wool, and bamboo), for a reasonable cost (comparatively speaking - $1599).  I give it 5 stars.  And since I can't, for the life of me, find a picture of it or even any mention of it on the internet...I will simply list the phone number of the company.  That's how my local furniture company found this for me.  They knew the company made a mattress like the one I was looking for, so they called, acquired the specs, ordered...and voila!  I'm not sure why they haven't added this mattress to their website (especially since it's been around for a little while and is being replaced by a newer, similar model).  Seems to me it would behoove them to add it and make it more widely known.  I think a lot of people are in the market for this type of mattress.


Federal Way
(253) 838-1711




3025 Pioneer Way East
Tacoma
(253) 922-1400





Guess all those hours on the internet were worth it after all:  *smile* and *contented sigh*.

No comments: