Thursday, April 7, 2011

GRRRRR....cell phones!

Some time back, I wrote a post on cell phone radiation levels. I researched and researched to find the most "beefed up" smart phone that had a great camera, could quickly and easily browse the internet, and had the lowest radiation level. I found that Samsung and LG consistently met all of my criteria and earned high consumer reviews. In fact, the Samsung Fascinate and Continuum phones outperformed, according to several review sites, the Motorola Droid phones. I thought I had it all figured out.

But, alas, I am at the mercy of red tape. Or more specifically the red tape of "Big Red" (Verizon). Apparently, the Fascinate and Continuum (Verizon's "Samsung Galaxy-S line" phones) are the only Verizon smartphones left with the Froyo 2.1 Android operating system. And...to make things worse, the company has been promising an upgrade to 2.2 for nearly a year. They're on the verge of a class-action lawsuit for selling a product to customers with the promise of a quick upgrade that never happened, and may NEVER happen. GRRRR. I even called Verizon today to get the real scoop. They pretty much confirmed my research.

Mr. D. just ordered the Droid X (which currently seems to be the best competition for the Fascinate). The Droid X sports an 8.0 mp camera, which is better than the Fascinate's 5.0 mp camera (though many reviews stated that the Fascinate still produces better pictures). The Droid X also has the 2.2 OS, more internal memory, and a better battery life. The Fascinate is reportedly faster but, according to consumer reviews, tends to freeze or seize up often.

I suppose every tech device has its bugs, but I'm pretty disappointed with the OS debaucle. It basically puts me in a position of choosing a higher radiation phone and puchasing a "hands-free" device to reduce my exposure.

I know, I know...a cell phone may not be all that important in the grand scheme of things, and there probably isn't a real necessity for me to have a smart phone. But, I like them.

This time, my sensible side is winning out against my principles. I'm not willing to spend $$$$ on a phone (Samsung Fascinate) that may or may not be able to perform up to its ability (3G/WiFi Hotspot/Froyo 2.2 or higher) because of an argument between companies (Verizon/Samsung/Google). It's especially frustrating that the same phone has the OS upgrade everywhere else but the U.S., and that all the other Samsung models under other carriers have it. I'm not switching carriers (Verizon gets the best coverage in my area, provides the "friends & family" network that means free long-distance for me no matter how long I talk, and I've never had any problems with their service). Even though the decision may be made in the next few months, leading to the upgrade to 2.2, or even higher, it's a risk I'm not willing to take.

Grrr...is all I have to say. At least the Droid X is cheaper...so I can spend that extra $ to buy it a case and make it hands-free.

Interested in researching different phones or different carriers? Check out Mobiledia's Cell Risk Site. Great comparison tools and reviews.

No comments: