Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Cleaning laminate wood floors

Part two...since there seems to be some interest -

The question is: can a steam mop be used on hardwood floors and/or laminate wood floors?

I did some research and found the answer to be a resounding YES and a resounding NO, depending on the site/author.

They appear to be perfect for well-sealed hardwood floors. Unsealed wood will absorb the water (which means that even worn spots will cause problems for you).

The apparent possible problem with laminate wood floors is that it can remove the waxy finish, which can only be replenished a few times before the floors will have to be replaced. But, I read the same thing about pretty much every cleaning method other than sweeping and vacuuming. If you have pets and live in a muddy area, you are going to have no option but to use some "wet" method of cleaning, even though the companies who produce this stuff usually recommend dry cleaning only. This means that the laminate is going to have to sustain some moisture. It just needs to be dried quickly.

The concern with using cleaners/cleansers/soaps is that they leave a residue and can cause streaks. I saw the same thing. I used a Swiffer mop for years, but it always left a dull, soapy film. I have found no other solution that to get on my hands and knees, using hot water and a rag, and then drying it. How is this any different that using a steamer? It's hot water, and it dries faster than I can dry it with a cloth. In fact, when I tried the steam mop...the water was dried before I even finished the section I was mopping.

Hmmm...

Some people swear by Windex. Others complain it still leaves a residue and streaks.

Some people swear by vinegar and water. Others say it doesn't work or that water should never be used.

Here are a few forums on the question:

Laminate flooring cleaning tips from GardenWeb

Naturemoms.com

I have Harmonics flooring. Their site says this:

Floor Maintenance (italics added by me...)

* Never use a wax or varnish coating on the floor. (Are you crazy? Do you think I have time to wax or varnish? I have a full time job!)
* For dry maintenance, we recommend using a micro-fiber duster or vacuum cleaner. (Okay...I do that...)
* For slightly damp maintenance, we recommend using an appropriate laminate flooring cleaning product, which you spray directly and lightly on the micro-fiber duster (see instructions). Always wipe dry immediately until no more moisture is visible on the floor. The use of other cleaning products might damage your floor. For beveled edge products, we strongly recommend dry cleaning only. Never use detergents on Harmonics floors. (So basically you're telling me, "buy OUR cleaning products so we can make more money...and don't actually clean your floor because it might damage it and then we won't honor the warranty---mwah ha haa *evil corporation laugh inserted here*")
* Wet maintenance is absolutely forbidden. Remove any standing water immediately. (Really? Sounding a bit "authoritative" there...You're actually forbidding me? Where, exactly do you think that's going to get you?)
* For trusted care, a warranty-approved maintenance kit is available through the Harmonics’ toll-free customer service line. (Ahhhh...there it is...the "add on sale". Trying to sell me more products. Nice.)
* Harmonics does not recommend the use of any type of cleaning machine such as spray mops, steam mops or power cleaners. (Well of course not, you didn't make them.)
* To remove stubborn stains carefully, we recommend using an acetone based fingernail polish remover. Never use scouring products! (Well, duh)

Precautions

* Avoid bringing dirt, water and sand indoors by providing a suitable floor mat at all outside doors. (Hahahahahahaha...I am rolling on the floor! I have no suitable, grown-up response to this!)
* Use felt or plastic floor protectors under chair legs and furniture. Do not use rubber floor protectors or rubber mats. (I thought this flooring was supposed to be durable...they advertise it as being great for people with kids and pets and messy lives - Lies, I tell you...Lies!)
* Rolling chairs must have soft rollers suitable for laminate floors. A protective mat should be used under desks with rolling chairs.
* Wipe up spills immediately. Do not allow liquids to stand on your floor.
* Ensure that humidity in the room is always at least 50%. Use a humidifier if you need to. (So what if you live in a very humid area? Does that count as "standing water" - do I need a dehumidifier to keep my floors from bowing?)


So, there you have it. I maintain that, since none of the cleaners work - and dry cleaning is not enough for my floors, the hot water/steam approach is the most effective. It just shouldn't be over-used.

Don't know what to say other than that.

Maybe...if you have kids and dogs and live in a muddy area, don't get laminate...get concrete. Then you can just put a drain in the middle and spray it down with a hose.

No comments: