Sunday, October 10, 2010

The 350 Tree Challange

Okay, so I'm a little slow on the uptake, and I have definitely been remiss in my postings. No excuses. I think I just fell apart there for a month or so.
Something about the beginning of the school year that makes me feel somewhat like a submarine preparing for a battle. I went under. I stayed there for quite awhile, and now...periscope up! Just note, even though I have not been posting, it does not mean I have not been living up to my goals.

For example, last night, we had a lovely dinner at Michael's Divine Dining with our family. The service, as usual, was wonderful. The food was, indeed, divine. The wine, the company, the dessert, the child's behavior, all was excellent. I love that Michael's does such a superb job of using local foods to create inspired dishes. Since it was Crab Festival this weekend, I caved and had the Dungeness Crab special. I thought the sight of the whole crab might freak my little guy out, but he thought it was great and helped my crack the legs and dip them in butter. A real hands-on meal.

On the way home we stopped by IGS (a local grocery that has been in business since 1959 and that carries a wide array of necessary items, from fishing bait, to bananas, to crab pots, to reflective wear and hunting licenses. And...a decent selection of microbrews and wines. D. selected a six pack of Hale's Red Menace (Seattle) for himself and a bottle of O'Reilly's pinot gris (grapes grown in Washington, wine made in Oregon) for me.

We enjoyed our nightcap as D. did his nightly perusal of online news. On our local paper's site, we came across this article about a local group planting trees in an effort to raise awareness about global climate change.



You can read the article here:

Goal to Plant 350 Trees by this Sunday

and visit this link (350.org) to find out more about the challenge and where it came from.

I haven't decided which kind of tree...but I plan to participate. Every little bit helps, and I love to see concerted efforts like this, especially in my neck of the woods.

If you live in the area...I'll see you at Sunny Farms or The Greenhouse Nursery (both on Hwy 101 between Sequim and Port Angeles)...we can pick out trees together!

No comments: