Monday, July 26, 2010

(Back from "Retreat") Puget Sound Farm Guide

Oh goodness...I'm finally back from the depths! Days and days of writing and learning and not sleeping. The Port Townsend Writers Conference is anything but a retreat, though it takes place in a retreat-like setting: tiny rooms with nothing to take your focus from the task at hand (writing), classes in sparse rooms with like-minded folks, and breath-taking views to be appreciated between readings, craft lectures, free-writing, etc. By day 6, I was about done in, saturated, and highly motivated to get home and continue the thread.

So, here I am, back - anything but refreshed, but definitely intellectually invigorated.

One of the most helpful classes I attended was one on blogging for writers. Over the next week, I plan to implement some of what I learned - starting with the new "more search friendly" blog address (http://onesustainablechange.blogspot.com/). I've also linked my blog to Twitter and Face Book, in the hopes that the circle will grow more quickly. The blog name will remain "one", and all the of the content is still accessible.

Interestingly, I learned that making my blog more "search-able" will make it more "troll-able", which, hopefully, will help editors and publishers find me! So, pass on my link, share my blog, link your blog to mine.

As a side-note...I must comment on how hard it was to find places to recycle at Fort Worden. It surprised me, since it's a part of Port Townsend, which seems like such a progressive, earth-friendly town. I complained to the management, who seemed genuinely concerned by the absence of recycling stations, as well. Maybe they'll add some bins.

And I found a great guide in the coffee shop - a must share:

2010 Puget Sound Farm Guide (Farms, Farmers Markets, CSAs and U-Picks!)



You can get one by visiting Puget Sound Fresh - A Program of Cascade Harvest Coalition.

The Cascade Harvest Coalition can be accessed via internet by visiting www.cascadeharvest.org

This guide provides a listing of all farms in the Puget Sound area along with the services they provide, the farmers markets and their hours of operation, maps and farm descriptions! It's an invaluable resource!

No comments: