Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Cosmetic footwork! (research)

Okay...so I've been busy typing, taking notes, and visiting Country Aire to begin my local inventory of possible product replacements (I will be hitting Sunny Farms Supplements later this week). Since some of the products I use are still in the moderate risk range for ingredients, I'm going to be trying hard to get them ALL within low risk (0-2). Using the Skin Deep site (see my links), I've narrowed it down and am taking my new knowledge to the streets of Port Angeles and Sequim, looking for decent choices at local stores. I'm really trying to avoid buying anything off the internet if I can find a suitable item here in my area.

So, even though there are scads of possibilities, there are only a handful here within a 25 mile radius (so even though I appreciate and welcome your suggestions, be aware that if I can't find it locally, I'm not likely to try it).

This is what I'm finding so far:

Based on the moderate ratings for ingredient risks, I'm going to have to bid farewell to Nature's Gate (though their toothpastes still rate low enough, if I can find them).

Avalon Organics products also tend to have moderate to high risk ratings, so I'll be finishing up my yummy smelling peppermint lotion and searching for something new. They, however, rated low for their "Nourishing Baby Lotion", so I might look for that.

Burt's - so sad....ot's of their products rate moderate to high, some possibilities remain, though: Rosewater and Glycerin Toner, Orange Essence Cleanser, fragrance free Baby Wash and Shampoo (this is the most likely switch for our kiddo, since he already uses this brand WITH fragrance - which is rated with a moderate "4"), the skin care line for men (except the shave cream and aftershave), Herbal Treatment Shampoo, their complexion soaps and mists...

Alba - another of my fall-backs...rates a bit too high in most things, only a few items on the low-score list - unscented shave cream, sunscreen, styling gel, hibiscus toner, hairspray...

Jasons - toothpaste, sunblock, hairspray...

Tom's of Maine - toothpaste.

So, what did I find that fared better in the ingredient smack-down?


Aubrey Organics: not all their products rated low (which is a good thing in this conversation), but they had ALOT more than some of the ones I mentioned above. This brand is a serious new contender for my business.

Giovanni: lots of good stuff for the hair! They even offer some styling products that rate very low (2 or under)!

Kiss My Face: this one is 50/50. A few good items - Olive My Body lotion, Balancing Act toner, Clean for a Day cleanser, C the Change moisturizer, Underage moisturizer, eye make up remover, Start Up face wash, Upper Management style gel, sunscreen, toothpaste, and bug spray.

These are the only brands I have located so far that have consistent low-ratings. I'll keep checking local stores and update my findings. I'll also let you know which products end up "taking the cake" and earning a permanent place on our shelves and counters.

For today? I will be making furniture polish! I finally ran out of Pledge, so it's time! (Basic furniture polish: Mix 1/4 cup vinegar with 3/4 cup olive oil OR mix 1/4 cup lemon juice with 1/2 cup olive oil. Wipe down furniture with a soft cloth and the solution.)

1 comment:

Melissa said...

So, I just used the olive oil/lemon juice mix...worked like a charmed and smelled great! I highly recommend it! That's two household cleaners down....and several to go!