Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Sometimes it's worth it

Let me explain using a story or two about my dogs, first. I have a very bright and poorly trained husky. She has a tendency to run off. Now, she knows that she'll be in a great deal of trouble when she returns (which she always does). But, I think sometimes she really believes it's worth it. All the freedom...the squishy mud between her toes, sniffing and barking at other dogs - Yahooo!!! Totally worth it. Maybe not every day, but as often as she can and still be trusted to go out the door to find a place to pee without having to wear a leash (how demeaning).

My other dog just did it last night. She saw a deer, heard D. yelling for her to "get back here right now", and gave into her wild instinct. She ignored the yelling, chased the deer and came home wet, in trouble, and pretty much happy as hell. Totally worth it.

Let's switch gears and bring the story to the human world.

Last night, I did about an hour of work and then ditched the red pen in favor of a good movie. I knew I wouldn't have time to watch the whole thing, but since it wasn't due until Wednesday, I figured I could spread it out over a few days.

I enjoyed my first hour immensely (The Reader) as it was based off of a book I read several years ago. The book was so engaging and utterly tragic: ethical issues of guilt, judgment, and morality...beautifully written in the style of more classic literature. It was subtle, sharp, and numbing. I remember crying. But, I also remember wanting to turn right back to the first page and read it again (much the same reaction as I had when I read Jane Eyre at 13 or Romeo and Juliet at 14 or Rebecca at 15). I love these types of stories (others that have had the same effect: Wings of the Dove, Jude, Vanity Fair, Out of Africa).

I had a hard time pausing the movie. But I did. And I went to bed.

So tonight, I skipped the "main course" (work) and went right for the "dessert" (a decadent film).

I suggest eating dessert first whenever you responsibly can...because too often, we fill up on the stuff we are supposed to eat and don't leave enough room to really savor and enjoy the stuff we want to eat.

Don't read that as a manifesto to give up work and just play. If we did that, we'd all be lazy, broke, and probably in jail. But, sometimes... Sometimes it's worth the extra pile of work you'll have to tackle in the morning.

Maybe it's a lesson I should have been learning from my dogs all along: sometimes it's worth it. Totally worth it.

So here's to the pile...see you in the a.m., I'll bring plenty of coffee.

No comments: