Monday, March 22, 2010

Guest Blogger: Glass houses

Late night, half drunk, stream of consciousness

Last night we were out with some friends and the subject of one individual came up. I immediately bristled and stated, with no uncertain terms, the depth of my (perceived) loathing for this person due to their colorful past. No big deal, it was fine as we were with friends and the conversation moved on to something else.

But, in the wee hours of the morning I woke up and, for whatever god forsaken reason, I thought of the earlier conversation. It was just reflection at first, thinking about how reactionary I had been during that portion of the conversation. But I then began to internalize the reasons for why I might be thinking about this at 3 AM.

I came to the conclusion that 2 billion people are not wrong on a point or two...

...John 8:7 "So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her." yeah, I am talking about the man Jesus and the bible. Not my god, or book of choice, but the passage is powerful nonetheless...

How do I get off casting stones with my own "colorful" past and who casts stones in my direction? Even if the offenses of my past were not as heinous as the individual I berated am I still holding myself to a higher social position just because I perceive myself as a better human?...

(closer to sleep now,I thought to myself)...glass houses are stupid and only a stinky hippie would want to live in a greenhouse because they both smell weird and hippie don't throw rocks...

...in the morning I did something I do not do too often, I penned an apology. Because, I am human and no different (except for stinky, non-rock throwing, hippies)

No comments: