Monday, January 11, 2010

Breakfast of champions

What?!!! You mean coffee isn't breakfast? Okay, so I'm guilty...I have always had a hard time forcing myself to eat in the morning. Part of it is laziness (trying to come up with something, making it, cleaning it up), the other part is that I'm not a huge fan of the majority of breakfast options. I'm more the cold pizza or cereal type...but I have been learning for over a year now that it doesn't really matter WHAT I eat as long as I EAT. Let's just get it out there...I get mean when I don't eat. Our whole family does. So you can imagine what it's like around our house at 10 a.m. when we've all been up since 8:00, D. and I drinking coffee, the little one drinking milk or juice...snacking on cheerios (puffed air with no real substance). We start getting busy doing things around the house...and suddenly the first major fit of the day comes along and explodes in our faces (and it usually isn't the baby).

So, we've been getting better at this. D. is currently fixated on Honeycrisp apples and granola bars (we've been buying the basic Nature Valley type...but D. found a recipe to make our own at home, so one of these days, that'll be on the to-do list). I have been on a banana and energy bar kick. But this weekend, I found a great vanilla yogurt and this morning I added a cranberry-orange granola to it. Superb! And the great thing is that Sunny Farms has about 6 different types of granola so I'm unlikely to get too bored too quickly and have to find a new breakfast option.

Breakfast is indeed the most important meal of the day. It is proposed that we tend to lose weight more easily if we eat breakfast because it keeps us from being starved and eating half a cow at lunch to make up for the lost meal. We tend to be less hungry and we keep our blood sugar at a normal level all day instead of plummeting and sky-rocketing, which is bad bad bad.

The problem is finding breakfast options you like and that you won't get sick of...or finding alternatives when you do get tired of your old stand-by. I'm constantly looking for breakfast revisions...new choices...that are easy, involve little to no preparation, and are cheap and healthy. I ask a lot of my food. But, then, I ask a lot of everything, including myself.

I did 40 minutes on the treadmill today, went to the dentist for a cleaning (when was the last time you went?), cleaned out my make-up bag (most of that stuff should be thrown out every 6 months - especially the organic stuff with no preservatives), played with my critter while watching my husband cook dinner. It's been a good day. Probably because I started my day with breakfast. And only 2 cups of coffee.

I'll be ending my day with a new toothbrush (thanks to the dentist). I heard once you are supposed to change out your toothbrush every 3 months.

P.S. We DID find D. a new pillow...at Swain's (local). It was $9, made in the U.S.A. (yes, apparently we ARE still making a few things here still). Bad news? It's a cotton-poly fill so not biodegradable...but it fit two of our categories and I had about had it looking. I will keep my eyes peeled for a better choice. But, for now...D. can sleep easier.

No comments: