Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Waste: Analyze and Reduce

We all know we should reduce, reuse, and recycle.  Some of us take it more seriously than others.  I, personally, am aware I could do more, but hey, it's a process.

Several years ago, I went to a conference on gifted education.  A handful of the break out sessions were centered on ecology and the environment.  At the time, it was a huge new focus for me, and I was incorporating concepts into my classroom on a regular basis, with a whole unit on consumerism, waste, geography, and environmental impact.  We'd watch films (Wall-e, Ferngully, CNN's Planet in Peril, The Story of Stuff, PBS's Affluenza/Return to Affluenza, Planet Earth), and read books (The Curious Garden, The Wump World, The Lorax, A Material World, What the World Eats, Hungry Planet), and do dozens of activities to explore human impact on the earth (A Drop in the Bucket, The World as an Apple, and Fred the Fish are a few of my favorites).

But one truly impacted how I did things.  I'm not sure what you'd call it, maybe just "Effective" (I'll explain shortly).

At the time, we were without garbage service (to save $)...and the more we could recycle the less we had to spend once the truck was weighed as we entered the dump.  Now, we have garbage service, but we have the smallest can and have pick-up only every other week (which works for us 90% of the time) along with recycling (which we tend to have a lot of - glass/paper/cardboard/plastic/aluminum).



So, here's how the experiment works.  Get a garbage bag (if you have several people in your household, give everyone his or her own - it could be quiet an eye-opener). Pack this bag around with you all day (all week if you can handle it).  Now, everything you throw away goes in this bag.  If you can figure out how to recycle it or reuse it, do so.  At the end of the day (or each day, if you plan to go a week), take a look at what's in there.  Keep a list/diary of the items you tend to throw out; is there a way you can avoid it tomorrow?  I noticed right away (since I was living in dorm, away from home) that my consumption of paper cups/napkins was more prevalent...even paper towels in the restroom.  Well, those were easy fixes.  I dug my reusable mug out of my car, went to store and bought a few cloth napkins, and used the hand-drier on the wall of the bathroom.  Carrying the garbage bag around didn't teach me that waste was wrong.  I already knew that.  But, it did attach a neon light to my careless choices.  Since we all had to bring our bag to class on a daily basis, it sort of became a competition.  No-one wanted to be the one with the fullest bag. 

I've done this experiment with my students.  Of course, we have some rules about food and hygiene products.  I usually have them dispose of these elsewhere, but still record them on paper.  It's amazing what they learn about themselves and their families.



Considering what most people throw away, it's amazing that more isn't done to encourage people to recycle.  The majority of what we dispose of is either recyclable, re-usable, compostable, or is something we didn't need in the first place.  For some of us...it's simply a matter of living in a place that does not recycle certain items (often types of plastics).  I really wish companies would use as little packaging as possible.

I started out this blog, a few years ago, by measuring my global footprint.  So, let's see how things have changed.

According to the same footprint calculator I used then:
My results (4.07 earths)
Tips for reducing my footprint

Two years ago...my result was 5.16 earths.  So, I've managed to reduce it by a little more than one planet.  Not bad.  Not great, I'll admit...but certainly an improvement.  And if I can do it...absolutely anyone can.

There's a much more fun version of the calculator that I use with kids (go to footprintnetwork.org).
According to this site, the areas of my biggest footprint are energy and services.  And my "number of planets it would take to sustain the world if everyone lived the way I do" result is pretty much the same:  4.19 planets.

Where do I still fall short?  Transportation, electrical usage, non-local food items (outside of 200 miles).

Hmmm...so now...two more years - can I reduce my impact by another planet?  I'm pretty sure.  It's gradual, but, it's sustainable change.

So what are some easy ways to keep your garbage bag as empty as possible?  Here are 20 to start with:
  1. compost
  2. carry a re-usable mug/cup/set of silverware with you at all times
  3. bring your own tupperware when you eat out
  4. use re-usable shopping bags and produce bags (if it's possible, tell the clerk you will not be needing a bag)
  5. avoid products that have too much packaging
  6. pack your own lunch and use tupperware/stainless steel containers/re-usable snack bags
  7. take re-usable items to the thrift store
  8. pass gently used kids clothes and toys between friends/family
  9. buy bulk to avoid packaging (if there's only one of you, go in on bulk purchases w/a friend)
  10. avoid buying more than you need (shop for food daily or weekly if it will save you money and decrease the possibility of wasted/unused food)
  11. cook from scratch to avoid food packaging
  12. recycle everything possible (if you have no recycling pick-up...find the station and take it yourself - and then encourage your city to begin recycling pick-up...the easier it is to recycle, the more likely you are to do it)
  13. make sure to have a household recycling system in place (keep it simple and convenient)
  14. get long-lasting light bulbs/filters
  15. if you have a choice, always pick the product in recyclable packaging
  16. buy clothing/linen products made of cotton or other biodegradable fiber
  17. only buy electronics when your old ones wear out
  18. find the proper places to take your old batteries, unused medications, computers, oil, paint, etc.
  19. recycle your running shoes (Nike, Converse, or Recycled Runners)
  20. buy local (it tends to mean less packaging)

No comments: