Monday, June 14, 2010

Homemade Yogurt (part two)

Alright...not completely thrilled with my first batch. I checked on it last night before bed, but it was still pretty runny. I hoped it would thicken up over night, but this morning, it was still runny. As I was advised, I reheated it briefly and let it sit for awhile, but it never did thicken up to the consistency I was hoping for.

I also suspect that I let it sit too long, because it was a bit on the sour side by the time I tasted it. I added honey and pure vanilla extract, which softened the flavor, but since it's still too runny to just eat, I think we will be using this first "practice" batch as a fruit smoothie base for the next few days.

Oh well...it could be worse; at least I can still find an edible use for it.

I guess next time I will add a little more powdered milk, and I won't wait to make it until the evening; that way I will be able to monitor it more closely.

Ultimately, I don't think it turned out wrong, just not completely right. Guess it will just take a little trial and error to thicken it up and come out with a softer flavor.

After looking around at several different recipes, I have decided they are all variations of the same, so I suppose the only thing I can really do wrong it heat the milk too high for too long, add too much liquid, and/or let it sit for too long cooling. It's possible I did all of these. Also, I think I used a yogurt base that I already find alarmingly sour (Nancy's). So, no wonder it turned out on the tart side. I think I'll use a different brand next time. I've also seen a few recipes using organic whole milk. Maybe a thicker milk will produce a thicker yogurt? Only problem is I prefer a low-fat product. Hmmm...conundrum.

Well...we'll try it again this weekend and see where it leads. For now, I've got enough on my hands.

No comments: