Monday, March 8, 2010

All popped out

Whatever you call it: soda, pop, soda pop...stop it! Stop the empty calories and sugar...Stop the corrosion of your internal organs. More than that, stop spending all that moolah and start drinking the water your body craves.

Now, I'll admit it; I'm no saint. On occasion, I have a soda (usually the full sugar variety since I don't trust the strange brew that goes into anything labeled "diet"). Maybe 2 or 3 times per month, I succumb to the call of sugary bubbles and put up with the inevitable heartburn that follows (which is a sure sign that my body disagrees with the choice that I have made).

However, I stopped purchasing soda a long time ago. When we have company or a party, I stock the shelf with a variety of options, since I'm not about to impose my choices on others. But, I feel pretty good about cutting out those calories from my diet. It's an easy way to eliminate anywhere from 180-540 calories (1-3 sodas) from your day without doing a whole lot of work. And if you replace those sodas with water, which you should be drinking anyway...you only need 3 more glasses to fulfill your daily quota. Whereas, if you continue to drink the 3 sodas...some people believe you'll need another 6 glasses on top of that (for a total of 9 glasses of water), since you may have to make up for every caffeinated beverage you drink with 2 glasses of water to flush your system. Others refute this claim, though. I found a very interesting article on the subject at this site.

I don't know about you, but with the job I have, there's no way I have time to visit the bathroom as often as 9 glasses of water would require. And, since I'm not willing (yet) to give up my 2-3 cups of morning joe, I am totally willing to sacrifice soda in its stead.

Plus...it's damned expensive. The last time I went to buy a case of soda for impending company, it cost nearly $12. EEK! I'll save my money for other things, thank you. Just think, if I were a regular soda drinker...say 3 sodas per day...that would cost me $45 per month! Or, better yet, $547.50 per year. Now, understandably...most people buy their soda on sale or buy off-brands; but even still, yikes! That's some easy money saved in my book. Or at least better spent.

Plus, have you ever done the grade school experiments with soda? Those just terrify the crap out of me. Apparently, they are probably wrong...just read up on what this guy has to say: Josh Madison

I must say, I found those chain emails a bit unbelievable myself, but no one can deny the lack of healthy ingredients in a can of soda. No one can possibly claim that they are good for you in any way. Maybe the carbonation in ginger ale or 7-Up make you feel better when you are sick, but it doesn't mean they are "good for you".

Anyhow, this isn't really an argument to make you give up soda. It's an argument to help you make a better choice based on common sense. Soda is not good for you. It costs too much money. It fulfills no health benefit. It creates waste (even if it is recyclable plastic or aluminum). It's bad for your teeth. It could lead to stomach problems, diabetes, weight gain, and heart problems. Basically, it's the devil.

No, I'm kidding.

It isn't the devil, but it sure as hell isn't good for you. So, cut back. Or cut it out, altogether if you can. At least cut it off your grocery list.

Make it a "sometimes treat", along with the cookies that Cookie Monster now advises you to eat in moderation.

And just in case you need more convincing...

"Sugar Drinks Lead to Early Grave"

And BTW...when you DO break down and have a soda after basically giving them up...you'll enjoy it more. I know I do.

No comments: