Thursday, April 29, 2010

Eating well

Sometimes I feel spoiled when it comes to food...especially when sitting across from a happy two-year-old who is stuffing leaves of lettuce, cut tomatoes, shredded carrots, and Caesar blend crumbled cheese into his mouth. This is after he has all but inhaled his juicy steak, marinated in a bizarre marriage of cultural sauces - Thai peanut and chipotle.

So not only do I feel spoiled about the good food we eat...but I feel spoiled that my son happily eats what no man, no matter how strong, could've forced down my throat when I was his age.

Tuesday, it was asparagus.

Monday is was stir-fry with sticky jasmine rice and spicy peanut sauce.

Chicken chili? Yes, the boy will eat it.

Nachos with hot salsa? You betcha!

Goat cheese? Mmm...hmmm...

Spinach sauteed in garlic, olive oil and lemon juice? Just shoves it in by the handful.

I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop, for him to all of the sudden become a hopelessly picky eater. But, for now, I'm going to be thankful. Not only for the abundance of wonderful, fresh, and usually local food that fills our plates, but also for my malleable young eater.

I love food.

No comments: