Sunday, May 16, 2010

Composting, Cleaning, and Make-up Removal

We broke in the compost bin today! Yay! Coffee grounds are sleeping safe and sound at the bottom of the black abyss.

Planning to find a container today to hold our "compostables" next the kitchen sink...something that will hold in the smell and keep the animals out.

Later, I'll post a picture of the new addition, and tonight I'm planning to put up a working list of items that are compostable. I realize many people are not new to this, but since I am - and I have to do the research for myself anyway, I might as well share my findings in case someone else is interested.

Yesterday, I bought lavender oil and tea tree oil; it is almost time to make my first batch of all-purpose cleaning spray (I'm sure I'll post about this process this week). Next on the list:

Basic furniture polish: Mix 1/4 cup vinegar with 3/4 cup olive oil OR mix 1/4 cup lemon juice with 1/2 cup olive oil.

Bigger tougher carpet stains: Sprinkle Fuller’s earth or cornstarch onto the spot. Allow it to sit for about 20-30 minutes. Scrub with one cup vinegar mixed with three cups water.

Everyday toilet cleaning: Sprinkle some baking soda and lemon juice into your toilet and walk away. Eventually you’ll want to return and scrub it with a toilet brush.

Disinfectant all purpose cleaner: Mix a few drops of natural soap, 2 cups water, and 15 drops each of tea tree and lavender essential oil (you can use just the one oil- but 30 drops, I just like the mix). You can spray this on all surfaces, like cutting boards, counters, toilets, walls, (except it will streak glass).

Window / glass cleaner: Mix 1/2 cup vinegar with one gallon water.

So I created my "home cleaning" shopping list:

vinegar
cornstarch
baking soda
lemon juice
club soda
olive oil

Funny enough...when I looked up natural make-up removers? Extra Virgin Olive Oil!

Hmmm...I guess I'll be giving that a try! I also found vaseline and baby shampoo or baby oil on several different sites. But since EVOO and vaseline are products I can use from here on out and have no added ingredients, I think I will stick with those at first. If they don't work, I will move on to other strategies.

Anyhow, off to run errands.

No comments: